The Loopy Stitch Mexican Inspired Crochet Blanket

NOTE: This post has now been updated with the complete pattern.

During the week I was asked by my fiance (don’t know why I don’t like using that word, sounds odd and posh to me lol), if I could make him a Mexican Blanket… so I googled and fell in love!!! They are absolutely amazing and the possibilities are endless. Colour, co

lour, colour! We all know I love and may be obsessed with colour. I thought ‘Sweet!, A great way to use up all my yarn stash lying around’.

11701075_10153744271256263_8409207549963397227_n

So this pattern is super simple. You only need to know two stitches, single crochet and chain (US terms). If you can do those, then you can master this blanket. The stitch is known by a few names such as, moss stitch, linen stitch, or woven stitch. That’s all I know of anyway.

Here’s the simple pattern: (this is what mine is pictured above)

I am using a total of 16 colours in 8ply/dk and a 4mm hook. The blanket is 125cm/49 inches wide. I have found as I crochet more and more rows the tighter the blanket gets. It is easily stretched to the one size. The finished blanket measures 205x125cm.

Tension: 10cm x 10cm = 20 rows and 22 stitches (sc and ch counts as one st each).

Amount of colours

Use a 4mm hook, or larger if needed for the first row.

Row 1: Using any colour, chain 248, sc into the 3rd ch from hook, *ch1, skip stitch, sc in next*, repeat all the way to the end .

Row 2-?: (entirely up to you on colour changes), ch2, turn, sc in first ch sp, *ch1, sc in next sp (space)*, repeat all the way to the end, ch1, sc in between the last sc and ch2 from previous row.

You just keep repeating row 2 over and over until you have the desired length or look you’re going for. I personally change colours whilst make the last sc of one colour, before starting the next.

Here’s how I colour change: with colour that you are finishing up with, insert hook in sp, yarn over and draw through (2 loops on hook), let go of that colour and pick up the next colour, finish the sc by putting the yarn over and pull through, ch 2, turn, etc. I then crocheted in both tails about 3 inches/8cm BUT I wouldn’t recommend this as it stretches the blanket on the ends.Β  Weave in after crocheting is complete.

ORDER OF COLOURS:

Colours and Rows Table

It was a tedious blanket to make only due to how repetitive it is.Β  Easy to crochet and watch Netflix at the same time πŸ˜‰ After I finished crocheting, I blocked the blanket to give it a nice and even appearanceΒ  (it was a bit stretched on the ends due to crocheting over the ends as I went, which I do not recommend).

So here it is in all it’s glory! I love it. And I know it will keep Daddy aka hubby-to-be warm during Winter.

13445931_10153939534611263_386796525_o13453204_10153939533976263_1356358803_o

13405476_10153939605501263_1895523176_o13405634_10153939608566263_443641575_o13445870_10153939605531263_1660223129_o

As usual, I would love to see what you make! So pretty please use the hashtag #crochetmexicanblanket if on Instagram.Β  I look forward to seeing what you create! Happy crochetingΒ  xoxox

Advertisements

64 thoughts on “The Loopy Stitch Mexican Inspired Crochet Blanket

1. Angela Atkins says:

Hey! Absolutely love this… and want to crochet along with you. What brand of yarn are you using? The colors really pop! You’ve done 70 rows… anymore?? I’m useless with colours…. need your inspiration.

• theloopystitches says:

Hi Angela thank you. Yes I’ve done more but not sure how many rows now. I’ll update it soon with the new rows. I am using Marvel 4 Seasons and Carnival both 8 ply / dk yarn. Found in Spotlight and Big W in Australia. You can use the website Yarnsub and it will tell you the equivalent. Keep an eye out for my updated rows.

2. Nancy Allen says:

I love your Mexican color inspiration blanket. I am a beginner, this will be easy! How do you keep sides even and straight. I made a stripped one and the edges were all loopy.

• theloopystitches says:

Hi Nancy, the sides should stay nice and neat if you follow the pattern exactly and have a nice consistent tension. There isn’t many chains on the end for it to get loopy and loose. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

3. Rachael Clark says:

I wanted to make some adjustments to the colors, is it possible that you can send me the chart and I can use that as a base for my row/color changes? Thank you. BTW, I am having a lot of fun with this and cannot wait to see the final results.

4. Debbie Skretting says:

Hi! Love the blanket, it will be my next project after I finish the 10 I’m giving as Christmas gifts 😳☺️. Just wondered if you could tell me how you blocked it, I’ve never done it before..?

• theloopystitches says:

Hi Debbie, I pulled it to the shape I like and pinned it to my carpet then used a hot steamy iron and hovered about 1.5inches above the blanket and went over the entire thing a few times. I’ve heard of others spraying water and letting it dry whilst pinned too.

• Debbie says:

So sorry for the late reply but thank you for the info! I have now started one of my own but using Paintbox Simply Chunky yarn. (it’s more of an aran) So far I’m really pleased πŸ™‚ This blanket is so unique I was “forced” to attempt my own. Thank you again!

5. Sue says:

I haven’t crocheted in years. This blanket has inspired me to pick it up again. I’m so excited to start. Thank you for taking the time to post such well done pictures and all the details. I’ve never followed a pattern before so this will be a first for me but I think I can do it. This sounds simple enough. I’d love to see other folks’ pictures if they did any in other colors. I have a room with all white linens and Mexican accents in the decor. This will fit perfectly as is!

• theloopystitches says:

Hi Sue! That is so great to hear πŸ˜† I have seen a few other colours on Instagram but not very many different combinations. I’d love to see yours once you finish it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck! I’m sure it will feel like you never put the hook down. πŸ˜™

6. Judy K Haisley says:

I’m about halfway through this gorgeous blanket. Since I have a HUGE stash, I am able to follow your color chart exactly without spending a dime. My only concern is who is going to be the recipient of this beauty?

Jkh62cl@aol

7. Terri says:

Love this. Soooo pretty. I wondering if I wanted to increase the width what are the multiples? I like to do most blankets at least 60inches wide

• theloopystitches says:

Hi Terri, you will need to make an odd number of chains so that the pattern works. I just made the chaind to my desired length. Obviously keep in mine your tension. You could do a little swatch to work it out more accurately. Good luck! Have fun with it.

8. Debra says:

Beautiful work! Is that a cotton yarn or acrylic? I was just in Scottsdale where they have serapes for sale. I love the idea of making one.

9. MaryLu McFall says:

Thanks for a new inspiration. Had to read the instructions twice, it seemed so simple–but I’d never thought of it, you did…I’ve been to Australia and loved the country, what I got to see of it when I worked on the last Australian cruise of the Italian cruise ship, Achille Lauro. We were berthed in Sydney during your summer season of 1992-93. I will be following your board. I am on Pinterest too. I did write a book about my massage therapy training and the subsequent employment of the cruise ship.

10. Samantha says:

Recently started mine! Using 100% cotton, since my darn skin is so sensitive to many of the synthetics. I was wondering what the approximate dimensions of your finished blanket were? I’m using a 5.5mm hook and started by chaining 250, and at 32 rows, it’s is six and a half inches long by about four and a half feet wide. Does this tally with yours? I love to have something to compare to… Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful blanket and giving us all inspiration!

• theloopystitches says:

Me again πŸ™‚

Here’s a copy and paste. Yours may be slightly bigger due to your hook πŸ™‚ all depends on your tension too… Here’s the info.

11. Andrina says:

I almost hate to ask since there are so many colors, but since I can’t get either brand where I live, I’m trying to use Yarnsub. Do you have any way to tell on your lists which colors are Marvel, and which are Carnival? Thanks! This blanket is just gorgeous!

12. Helen says:

Hi

I really want to try to make this but am just starting out w crochet and am hoping for some clarification on a couple of the terms you have used please (if that’s okay):

– what do you mean by “I blocked the blanket to give it a nice and even appearance”; and
    – what is “crocheting over the ends”?

Thanks

Hele

• theloopystitches says:

Hi Helen, sorry it’s taken me a while to reply. Blocked means to make it into a nice shape. Sometimes crocheted pieces can end up a bit wobbly, or stretched funny etc and by blocking, it makes it all nice and pretty again πŸ™‚ I hope this helps.
      Crochet over the ends – basically hold you ends at the back of the work and crochet like normal, make sure that the ends go where your currently working so that they will be hidden by your new stitches.

Thanks, Emily